Author Topic: Problem getting the motor to run  (Read 1308 times)

srm1973

• View Profile
Problem getting the motor to run
« on: November 17, 2017, 04:24:31 PM »
Cannot get the motor to run, I'm using an already flashed motor board so don't think this is causing it

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Problem getting the motor to run
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 04:34:45 PM »
Cannot get the motor to run, I'm using an already flashed motor board so don't think this is causing it

Awesome! First question on the forum!

Can you try running the default sketch for the motor controller? Are you flashing the WeMOS with the Ardiuno IDE or with the esp flash tool? If you're using the Arduino IDE, then you could try loading up the motor controller example sketch and see if that works. If not, then there's something up with the hardware.

Also, is it a 12V DC geared motor you're using? with a 12V power supply?

Regards,
Dave.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 04:46:43 PM »
If I get time over the weekend I'll create a bin file with the example sketch for the motor shield. That example runs the motor in one direction for a few seconds then in the other direction. That might help people narrow down their issues with the motor shield.

It's a bit of a pain in the butt that the suppliers of the motor shields still sell them with dodgy firmware. It's really difficult to flash with a working version.

Dave.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 05:42:00 PM »
One more thing, just in case, the motor should be connected to the B+/B- terminals.

Also, the board should be powered from VCC and GND on the openlapse board (12V approx) with the USB DISCONNECTED. The switch shoudl also be in the "EXT" posiiton so that the DC-DC converter can bring up the Wemos.

Regards,
Dave.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:07:28 PM by admin »

xndrxw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 05:59:33 PM »
I am in the same boat. I am going to play around with it some more tonight and see if I can get figure something out.

srm1973

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 08:14:24 PM »
Yes it's a 12v motor with 12v supply, the board I'm using was one that you sent to me Dave, I'll keep trying this evening and see if I can get it working
Cheers
Simon

Sdack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 07:52:24 AM »
Hi folks,
I just connected up my near complete unit (only lacking 2.5mm audio socket and USB switch) and found that my motor runs constantly, and won't stop with the 'stop' button in the phone app.

Is this a symptom with a specific cure?

Also would someone please be kind enough to explain how to connect the motor shield to the Arduino IDE for flashing? 

When I tried to hook it up to the TTL bits of an Arduino Uno, the many wires were so precariously connected and almost touching that I gave up for fear of blue smoke. 

I have a USB2TTL device coming on the slow boat from china and thought I'd wait for that but I have been wondering if it's possible to flash the motor shield "THROUGH" the Pro One Mini.
Cheers
Stack

srm1973

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 05:51:33 PM »
My soldering skills aren't that good do maybe an issue there, I have noticed that 2 of the 3 pins on 1 of the transistors are touching due to excess solder, not sure if that would cause an issue?

Sdack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 09:48:53 PM »
@srm1973

You're not alone in that.  Mine look terribly close too.  I've been wondering if there's a 'usual method' of ensuring there's no connection in such cases.  Like running the blade of a craft knife between them.  I'm not sure however that there aren't layers of connection going on just beneath the surface of the board, so I've been hesitant to do that.
I just ordered a solder sucker in the hope that I can use that, like Dave does in the video on exactly those transistor connections.
Sdack

xndrxw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 03:17:16 PM »
Has anyone had success getting the motor to run after flashing the motor controller following the Hack a day post? I have tried numerous things now and still cant manage to get the motor to run. Any pointers would be great. None of my connections are touching from soldering.

slazenger01

• View Profile
Flashing the controller board
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 01:39:00 PM »
Hi Folks,

i already managed to flash the Wifi board, but now i read here that flashing the motor controller is also neccesary.
How can thi sbe done?
Does anyone can tell me (step by step, please) how to do this and what i need besides the controller board itself.

thanks in advance
Thomas

slazenger01

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 09:44:29 AM »
Meanwhile i found a tutorial which tells how to flash the Motor board without soldering:

https://hackaday.io/project/18439-motor-shield-reprogramming

best regars
Thomas

slazenger01

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 09:27:37 AM »
Hi Folks,
just to let you know:

I was able to flash the motor shield myself now by using a "FTDI Adapter FT232RL USB to TTL Serial for 3,3V and 5V for Arduino PRO Mini TE203" Adapter and following the Tutorial from the last post.

Here are the Results:

pi@raspberrypi:~/wemos_motor_shield $ stm32flash /dev/ttyUSB0 -v -w motor_shield.bin
stm32flash 0.5

http://stm32flash.sourceforge.net/

Using Parser : Raw BINARY
Interface serial_posix: 57600 8E1
Version      : 0x31
Option 1     : 0x00
Option 2     : 0x00
Device ID    : 0x0444 (STM32F03xx4/6)
- RAM        : Up to 4KiB  (2048b reserved by bootloader)
- Flash      : Up to 32KiB (size first sector: 4x1024)
- Option RAM : 16b
- System RAM : 3KiB
Write to memory
Erasing memory
Wrote and verified address 0x08000c4c (100.00%) Done.

YAY :)

i am very happy and proud that i made it - hopefully it works when all is assembled

Sebquismoke

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 11:06:56 AM »
Hello slazenger01,
I wanted to know if you managed to run the motor shield following the flash of the famous firmware?
If so, do you have the option to provide me with the correct motor_shield.bin file?
After several attempts, I still can not ...
Thank you
Seb